Review Our Business
Call 615-866-7989 for immediate assistance!

Avoiding Fire Safety Fails

Everything has risks. Knowing what those risks are and how to reduce them is the secret to success. When a fire does happen, time is of the essence. With an increasing number of people using grills, there is a greater risk for accidents that can result in serious injury or property damage.

Fire Safety When Grilling - Nashville TN - CPRNash

It is summer in Tennessee and that means its grilling time for many residents. Although, outdoor cooking is a long-cherished tradition for most families, it also increases the possibility of fire-related incidents and injuries tremendously. Gas grills constitute a higher risk, having been involved in an annual average of 7,200 home fires in 2007-2011, while charcoal or other solid-fueled grills were involved in an annual average of 1,400 home fires. The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office urges outdoor cooks to keep fire safety in mind as they fire up the grill this summer and make sure the only thing going up in smoke is dinner.

According to the Tennessee Fire Incident Reporting System (TFIRS), fire departments responded to more than 180 fires involving grills, hibachis, or barbecues from 2009-2013. These fires caused two civilian injuries, three firefighter injuries and $5,147,312 in direct property damage. Cooking outdoors has its risks, but they can be reduced by taking the right precautions and following safety procedures.

To help keep your summer cookouts fire safe, the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office offers the following great grilling tips:

  • Before using a gas grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line. Make sure the Venturi tubes – where the air and gas mix – are not blocked.
  • Do not overfill the propane tank.
  • Grills should be positioned at least 10 feet away from your house.
  • Do not wear loose clothing while cooking at a barbecue.
  • Be careful when using lighter fluid. Do not add fluid to an already lit fire because the flame can flashback up into the container and explode.
  • Keep all matches and lighters away from children. Teach your children to report any loose matches or lighters to an adult immediately. Supervise children around outdoor grills.
  • Dispose of hot coals properly – douse them with plenty of water, and stir them to ensure that the fire is out. Never place them in plastic, paper or wooden containers.
  • Never grill/barbecue in enclosed areas – carbon monoxide could be produced.
  • Make sure everyone knows to Stop, Drop and Roll in case a piece of clothing does catch fire. Call 911 or your local emergency number if a burn warrants serious medical attention.

Emergency doctors nationwide are familiar with grilling harm. They say would-be barbecuers are routinely burned, singed and blistered in accidents caused either by faulty grills – or the faulty habits of their operators.

Following the guidelines above and keeping safety your main priority while grilling can help make your summer cookout memorable for all the right reasons. Choice Property Restoration is a locally owned and operated company. We live and work in your community and strive to make us all safer and ready to respond, not if, but when something happens. In the event you have a fire mishap, call CPR at 615-886-7989 or schedule an appointment online. Remember: we’re the company that responds in a heartbeat!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Connect with us!
Facebook Twitter Google+